Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Evolution of Standard Ball, Club Spirit NYC, 2006

Here's a small sample of a couple of (early) categories from POCC's (People of Color in Crisis.) much aniticpated Evolution of Standard Ball held at Club Spirit in New York City. I would have had full coverage of the 8-plus hour ball to present here to you, but since POCC didn't hire me to shoot this event (!), I was there purely as a spectator (and artist, of course!), and photographed only two hours. Nevertheless, I managed to get some cool shots (some of which I haven't even edited yet) to present here today. Club Spirit was filled to capacity and the kids came ready to BATTLE for Grand Prize! By the time I left the Ball (after two hours), there were still SEVEN categories to go! I heard the Ball didn't end till sometime after 10pm (it started somewhere around 2pm), at which point I was in the Greenwhich Village having dinner with my boo and some friends. Weatherwise, it was the nicest day of the year here in NYC, and being OUT that day was truely FIERCE for all of us "children". :-)

Balls are always wonderful events for me to photograph. My personal favorites are the bizarre and performance categories. I get so much inspiration from the "children". It warms my heart and gives me hope that there's a community outlet for youth, who without "family" might otherwise be lost. Photograhing Balls allows me to expand my ongoing personal photo project of documenting WHO WE ARE and HOW WE LOVE as a community. This is my attempt to show the world a mutifaceted Black Gay Community full of PRIDE and SPIRIT. The Ball Scene is ours. We should own it and nurture it. I'm happy to see POCC set up for HIV testing at the Ball. By the looks of it, a lot of kids got tested. The Balls are a GREAT outreach tool! KUDOS to POCC!

So go ahead and adjust your computer volume, Click PLAY and enjoy the show! Leave comments and pop by my blog again and often!


Peace & Light,
Ocean!



1 comment:

EpiphanyNoir said...

ABSO-LOOT-LY FAB-U-LOUS! This is just the bomb!!! Love theses images... Reminds me why its so good to be gay and alive!