Thursday, August 02, 2012





Today, while perusing the salad bar at Whole Foods, I noticed a petite woman from behind with a “clean” bald head, the top of which reflected the lights coming from the spot lights above. This was a familiar baldness that I recognized as an effect of chemo when it ravages the cells in the body. Immediately, I figured her to be a person with cancer. I tried to position myself where I could see her face and body, but everywhere I moved around the salad bar, I still only met the back of her head, or small glimpses of her profile. 

As I reached to spoon some brown rice in my container, the woman turned and walked over in my direction, affording me the opportunity to get a full view. Though her gait seemed weak, her wide, sky-blue eyes revealed a strength and determination I had known all too well. Her long white sundress was cut low enough at the top, exposing what I immediately recognized as a port-a-cath…the same one I still have implanted in my chest. I was immediately taken aback, mostly by her pride and courage that she exuded. Her light was so powerful-- I moved to the other side of the salad bar and stood directly across from her. She seemed oblivious to my curiosity as she checked off items on a handwritten list. In this very moment, I wanted to say something to this woman, who exhibited warrior traits. I wanted to tell her that I too fought cancer, and won. I wanted her to see me as an example that there IS life after cancer. I wanted to encourage her to keep fighting, recalling how every bit of encouragement from friends and strangers helped me in my own fight. At the same time, I felt awkward, because I was now staring at this woman, hoping she would free me of the embarrassment of having to strike up a conversation. I was overtaken by the power of this warrior in a petite frame. I wanted at once to share my highs and lows with her. As I studied her port, I wondered if she thought I was looking at her breasts. And just while all these thoughts rushed into my being, the woman’s eye’s met mine, and she smiled knowingly and proudly at me, and I returned the smile, even beaming back at her. The warrior-woman sealed lunch her container and walked off to the register. All that I wanted to share with her was received. Or so I believed…

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Intriguing experience, silent communication, is. So much can be imparted in a glance.