Sunday, July 31, 2005

Trust the Process

As a freelance artist and as a spiritual being, I've been told by many to "Trust the Process". Making the choice to live my life independently (I left the business world to pursue my creativity), lurching myself into the field of uncertainty has it's merits, but damn, sometimes it's a bitch! The ebb and flow of emotions and finances is exhausting. The "process" is altogether frightening and exhilerating. Living my most authentic life and cultivating new relationships has me feeling spiritually "full". Many of my friends in Corporate America don't understand this. "Spiritually full? Do you know the Dow went up 6 points today"?, I imagine some of them saying. Nevertheless I move onward and upward. Every small opportunity presents a bigger one, and I believe that.

The other day, I picked up a book from the EAST/WEST Bookstore on 5th ave. in Manhattan called "Trust the Process", An Artists Guide to Letting Go by Shaun Mcniff. I only had to open up to the table of contents b4 the book was singing to me. Singing sweet songs of affirmation and strength. During this period of uncertainty, self-doubt and other emotional artist dramas, it was just the type of pick-me-up that I needed. It's the type of book where practically every sentence assures me that I am on the path, and yes, this is the process. Living a creative life has as much to do with the 'downs' as well as the 'ups', the dark as well as the light.

I feel like I can breath now, and yes, I Trust the Process.

-"A person's license to create is irrevocable, and it opens to every corner of daily life. But it is always hard to see that doubt, fear, and indirectness are eternal aspects of the creative path". --Sean Mcniff

No comments: