Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sometimes a self-portrait doesn't come out "technically" correct, but the process of creating art as a means of reflection, inspiration, and healing is far from perfect. Self-portraiture allows myself to see ME as I face C. I'm still even getting used to the way I look. Sometimes I look in the mirror and don't recognize myself without my dreadlocks. Still, I feel blessed that after two chemotherapy treatments, my hair has not fallen out (yet). I celebrate this by growing a beard. :)

Today however, I got a haircut and a shave, because while this photo reminds me of how fortunate and blessed I am to still have hair, there are also others who face Cancer and are having a hard time dealing with hair loss as a side effect of chemotherapy. A bald head is a constant reminder of this dis-ease. To many, this may seem trivial, but to those facing cancer, especially women, losing your hair is like losing a part of your identity. Even though my hair is still "growing", I've been shaving it off in solidarity with those in the fight...and I am re-inventing myself in the process.


No comments: