Thursday, November 17, 2005

The "Laundry Boy", November 17, 2005

Today i did my laundry. Once I arrived at the laundromat I realized that the only other person doing laudry was a ten year old kid (whose name I did not get, but in this series I call him "laundry boy") . As i said, he's ten years old and he was washing about six large loads of laundry, and doing it well! He tells me he's been washing clothes for his family since he was four, but mastered it at six. :-) Engaging this "laundry boy" in conversation, I asked him if he ever used too much soap, and he said he had, but that he's an "expert" now. This kid reminded me of my own youth. Funny I should do this series reflecting on my youth, one day before my thirty-sixth birthday. Hmmm...
He carried on extensive conversations with himself, was playful, kooky and seriously introspective. I also sensed a caregiver spirit.

How I long to be back at that place of ultimate freedom...the freedom of youth. I will say however, that I'm very much in touch with my inner child. I like to be playful, silly, and laugh...a lot! These have been my "soul" food. It's what nourishes me and keeps me alive, happy and thankful. This is why I'm able to connect with youth. Neither my eyes, nor my heart have stopped being curious about the world around me.


I was happy to have on hand my Canon Optura 30 digicam to shoot these stills. I also have video footage to put together from the "Laundry Boy" series. None of these shots were set-up.

2 comments:

Unconquerable Soul said...

Great post! Awesome Pictures! 10 years old and six loads of laundry, I have so many stories like this.

EpiphanyNoir said...

My mom was pregnant with my brother Matt when I was ten, needless to say I was drafted to laundry duty..didnt have to go to the mat like this lil guy did but I remember thinking Wow this is some work and having a little more apreciation for her... The pics are great but the story brings it up to awesome!